Sunday, June 15, 2014

Showdown at Burnt Tierra Gulch

Hello!  Its been nearly a month since my last blog post, and I'm truly sorry for that.  I've been feverishly working on this project for the last month between a heavy load of work, school, and life, but the work has finally paid off.  Hopefully, you've liked our Facebook page and have kept up with the updates as I've been trudging along, but if not, here are the finished models, as well as a "hasn't been a blog post in a month" worth of information about each model.  

This collection of eight miniatures comes from Wreck Age's "Showdown at Burnt Tierra Gulch" Boxed set, which includes five "Drifters" and three "Stitcher" models, all with unique sculpts.  For the Wreck Age gamer, these new models offer a step up in some of the detail of previous models, with more detail, and expands on the nice variety of models already available to play your games.  For the painter, these models are on the smaller scale of 28mm and some details are very tiny, but there are tons of different parts and pieces to practice lots of different techniques on.  In addition to painting all in Non-metallic metals, I was able to do glass/phylacteries, lightning, gemstones, NMM rust, cloaks, tubes/wires, and much more.  

On with the meat - here are the pictures, starting with a shot of the five drifters and three stitchers.  




With post-apocalyptic models, it can be tough to generate a color palette that ties the models together without drowning them out.  Dark browns and grays are fine and with one model, you can make lots of really cool effects, but on the tabletop, units or groups of models need some color to tie them together or make them stand out.  With the drifters, I wanted to have some sort of uniform color to tie them all together; make them part of a group.  Red wasn't my first choice - it doesn't really fit the post-apoc scheme, but I decided to try anyway and am very happy with the turnout.  I didn't want to overdo it though, so I picked out scarves and bandannas, as well as various other parts so that it brought them together in uniform, but the browns and metals remained the main part of the palate.  

With the stitchers, I was a little more random.  These guys are bad news and I immediately wanted to have some dark parts to the model.   I didn't keep much uniform to them, but the models themselves have some tie-ins, which I'll discuss in more detail with each model below.  I'll show off the individual model first, and then give a brief description of some of the work and thoughts behind it.  





 This was the first model I completely painted in the group.  He is one of the more simple models of the set, but still had a lot of great detail to paint.  The cloak was particularly fun to paint and I used a base of Gorthor Brown and worked almost down to black in the shadows and up to white on the highest highlight (which I did on most parts of all of the models).  He has a ribbed (poor choice of words?) chest armor piece similar to what vampires wear, which helped me choose red as the complimentary uniform color for the drifters.  




Hard to really pick one, but this guy is one of my favorites from the box.  VERY good sculpt.  I especially enjoyed painting his skin because of the way the forehead is sculpted - it really allowed a good blend to be achieved and sets the model off.  Really, the entire model had good pieces.  He also had the ribbed pattern armor and beautifully sculpted cloak, which I painted red - giving him much more color than the other models.  His attitude and age make me think he is probably the leader of the group, so it made sense to me.  I was really worried about painting the metal piece on his base and had done some NMM on that diamond pattern metal before, but didn't like the turnout.  So, I decided to play around a bit and try to pull off some NMM rust, which I was happy with, so I went much further with the effect on the next drifter model.  




Because of this model's style, I originally thought he was one of the stitchers, but when I found out he was part of the drifter team, I immediately was excited because I knew what color to paint his mask!  I painted his cloak similarly to how I painted the Reclaimer set.  One this model, the real standout pieces are his shield and the power pack for his weapon.  Red and Blue aren't a favorite combination of mine, but the style of the pack and the tubes that fed into the spear were so similar to the Reclaimer tech, that I imagined this guy had found it and started using it himself.  A light blue doesn't look all that bad with red anyway, and you never really see the red and blue in the same view of the model from any angle.  The shield was a lot of fun.  Hazard stripes are a love it or hate it pattern in the 40k universe, but I lean more toward the love it and so I thought it matched the style of these models and yellow looks really good with blue.  The NMM rust was really easy to achieve (if you have simple NMM down).  I pretty much painted the shield with a silver NMM technique.  After that was over (highlighted all the way up to white), I heavily watered down some mournfang brown and glaze it in several layers over the shield, and did so more heavily in the shaded areas.  Then I took some watered down Agrax Earthshade and "glazed" it into the recesses as well as dabbing it on in certain areas to give it a more natural rusty look.  Finally, I took some white and hit the edges of the shield and threw some scratches down.  




Another model that initially jumped out as a stitcher to me because of the patchwork cloak.  Wasn't much to this model and he was probably the quickest to paint.  I went back and forth on the cloak on the colors but tried to make it simple (sorry for the poor rear pic).  Again, tried to keep clashing colors away, but thought that in the post apoc world, you might find any kind of fabric to patch your cloak together with.  I used a small bit from a Flames of War T34 tank for the base (lol - it worked perfectly).  Used the rusty NMM described above for his blade, which is probably my favorite part of the model - I like weird looking makeshift weapons like that.  



This final drifter was probably my least favorite of the set, but thats not to say its not a great model.  His armor was sculpted very well and the flat surfaces of the metal on his legs made a great surface for blending. I'm not the happiest with his face and really couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with it, but I thought it worked out.  The green pieces on his chest plate, I painted with salvaged military gear in mind.  



The first stitcher, who I think is supposed to be the leader of the group reminded me A LOT of a haemonculus from 40k.  His cloak provided a lot of opportunity to try new things, being that it appears to be stretched flesh stitched together.  I painted each pieces as though it were flesh, but used different shades of skin for adjacent pieces.  Once those were fully painted, I used dark red and purple washes in successive layers on the area around the stitches to represent bruised and damaged skin.  I also painted a lot of his details with green - its an eerie color and provides some personality to the model.  



Just a great model, this one is.  The sculpt is fantastic.  His skin painted very well and his head looked like it was worn from wearing the mask for such a long time and the subtle thin musculature of his gun arm was easy to make look good.  His big boots just screamed out like they were from a radiation/hazmat suit and why not?  So I painted them yellow, which compliment his jeans well.  The torn shirt was done with subtle color changes (rucksack tan - rakarth flesh - white).  Again, the eerie experimental green tube feeds from the tank on his back, misting who knows what into his airway, maybe stimulating him for combat or helping subdue his mind for easy control.  The liquid-filled glass of the tank wasn't too difficult to pull off.  Keeping an almost-black green tint on the highest and lowest parts of the tank and blending lighter shades of green up to white in a way that made the liquid look level with the ground and putting some white spots to look like reflection in the glass - just practice... the hardest part is the final white spots.  



And last but not least, this very suspicious stitcher.  A favorite.  The sculpt again is fantastic.  Lots of glass bottles, again filled with liquid that does who knows what.  These stitchers are shady characters for sure.  The musculature on his arm, very well defined.  His blunt forehead makes me think this guy was made for taking orders.  I painted the liquid in the large vials different colors - I figured a different substance for each situation.  The blade was hard to get right, but I think this finish that I selected looks the best from previous tries.  Soft tonal differences in his light colored clothes and the mask contrast well with the black armor and stark changes from black to white on the NMM here.  Hard to choose a favorite again, but this guy painted himself.  

Annndd... thats it.  Before I go to bed, I'm going to clean up the mess that is my painting table to get ready for the next project.  I have my malifaux gang and some world eaters coming up next and I cannot WAIT to paint them.  Thanks again to Hyacinth Games for the great models here.  I think I've put enough up here for one night.  Thanks so much for reading and happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment