Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I got a chance to work on the maneaters a little more on Monday evening.  Since then, I haven't had much time nor will I have an opportunity to work on them tonight because of my weekly evening class.  Regardless, I wanted to post a progress shot because I'm very happy with their progress and I'm itching to get more paint on them. 

I don't paint a lot of blacks/grays, so I wasn't really looking forward to painting the Ninja.  I love the model, but it's really easy to lose the detail in the black colors (I thought about going Stormshadow and painting him white with red accents...) and so I wanted to make a color that allowed him to retain the shadow-y persona of the ninja, but allowing some of the animated theme of the ogres to persist.  I'm happy with the result so far and plan to go back and lighten up the skin on the parts of his face that are visible.  I'm going back and forth on how I want to paint his sword.  The entire army is covered in rust, but this is a ninja.  Albeit, he's an Ogre Ninja, but surely he takes pride in his blade. 

The Araby Maneater has some personality to him that is different than all of the other maneaters.  If you've read my Ogre Skin tutorial, you would remember that I don't really use a wash on the Ogres.  I figured the Araby Ogre would have a darker complexion than the others, so I lightly brushed Agrax Earthshade over his skin and wow, the result was nice.  I'm going to experiment on some ogres going forward to see if I can add some of that to my technique.  I've traditionally been afraid to do so because of how dark their skin turns out, but glazes and washes are SO effective at tying the colors together.   For his turban, I wanted to closely match the GW version of the miniature but they don't really make a color that is close, so I improvised.  I started with a base of Auburn Shadow (it's part of the Reaper red hair triad).  Then I washed the turban with Drucchii Violet wash (I find that purple works really well with red colors).  Now the next steps are to highlight.  I'm going to try a couple of things - going back to the red hair triad is an option.  I may also try the Privateer Press skorne paint (can't remember the name and I'm not at home - its a purplish red).  We'll see how that turns out.

The Empire Maneater was really my least favorite of all of the maneater models, but I'm enjoying painting him.  I'm happy with his skin tone, especially above his gut plate.  In the image below the model looks very drab outside of the skin, but I still have a lot of highlighting to do with the red/brown parts.  His face is pretty funny - looks like he swallowed a bug or something.  Going back to my above comments about the ninja, I've really wanted to work on painting stone so I tried some thorough blending on the hammer and I'm very happy with the result.  Check it in the pic - there is a nice contrast and even though it is stone, I tried some NMM concepts in regards to the lighting.  Now I'm trying to decide if I want to risk messing it up and put some blood effects - surely he doesn't walk around with the big stone hammer and not bash some heads.


I touched on this in a recent post, but I'm close to being finished with the main part of the Ogre Kingdoms project and I'm SOOOO looking forward to painting something else!  I will continue to add Ogres to the army and try new things - they are really fun to paint.  I'm also going to put up a Rusted Metal Tutorial soon (I have 3 Ogre Bulls preppred for this purpose).  After the 6 maneaters, my attention will turn to my tablewar case and display board.  Still brainstorming ideas for a display board but I bought some supplies to try out in my mission to convert the case to a fantasy case.  I'll finish up their regiment trays at the same time.

Other than that I've been gathering supplies for a project I'm wanting to work on for the Crystal Brush at Adepticon.  Hoping I can really get some time to spend on that.  It seems like the event is very quickly creeping up on us. 

Thanks for reading.  I'm going to try to finish these up by the end of the week, but it might be tough with my current work and school schedule.  That and I plan on taking their fully painted fellows to play on Saturday.  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment